From a business plan I am writing for one of the Agency’s clients:
Wikipedia, in the last 7 years, has racked up nearly 2.3 million English-written entries. There are over 300,000 entries each in German, Spanish, Italian and French and a 100,000 in Finnish, Romanian and Turkish. When you include sub-pages, user profiles, templates, tutorials and discussions the number rockets to nearly a 100 million aggregate pages. And the average article is essentially indistinguishable in terms of accuracy when compared to any for-profit publication. This seems overwhelming, if not impossible to replicate when you imagine that they were written by amateurs sitting in their living rooms. What this ignores is that as its base Wikipedia rests on the bedrock of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, which fell into the public domain and was absorbed into the site. Also incorporated is the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography, W.W. Rouse Ball’s Short Account of the History of Mathematics and Chamber’s Cyclopedia, among many others. Wikipedia was seeded by professionals.
Communities cannot be willed into existence. Communities need more of a reason to form than superior technology. Almost every massively successful community can be traced back, not to the owner, the technology or the genre, but to a group of incredibly passionate users at the core of it.
Businesses almost always have that. They sit dormant in cubicles or overwhelmed with soul-crushing office politics. And the only reason they fail in the transition to the web is that they cannot unleash those assets. Remember, corporations are incapable of love but individuals are full it. Top down businesses continually stagnate on the internet because no one is willing (or allowed) to get down and dirty and do the work.
So what if someone took the pro’s and had them start at the bottom just like everyone else? What if you had the ‘best in the world‘ as your 1911 Britannica? That’s what I’m trying to figure out now – I was at YouTube on Monday and with a band that’s sold over 50 million records on Tuesday – and I think what we’re on to is game changing.
One thing I try to catch and remind myself of (but often fail) is how conveniently my principles seem to fit with my natural disposition. And that it would not only be unfair, but dishonest to pretend otherwise.
- Gawker Domain & Archive Is Finally Up For Auction This Week. Who Might Win, and Why? July 8, 2018
- What Peter Thiel’s Playbook Shows Us About Taking Down Trump, Alex Jones (or Anyone) April 26, 2018
- In Praise of Conspiracies March 14, 2018
- It’s Time to Get Real About Power in Silicon Valley February 28, 2018
- The Insane Backstory Behind The Lawyer Who Shook Down Donald Trump (and Hulk Hogan) January 15, 2018
- Seriously, You—OK, We—Need To Stop Watching The News This Year January 1, 2018
- The Unstoppable Power of Greeting It All With a Smile December 18, 2017
- I Tried to Expose Russia’s Media Manipulation Playbook in 2012 and Nobody Listened November 27, 2017
- How Lewis Howes Got to 40M Podcast Downloads, the Bestseller List, and Ellen’s Couch October 31, 2017
- The Unfathomable Power of Amor Fati October 13, 2017
- The Media Needs to Look in the Mirror After Harvey Weinstein October 10, 2017
- Exclusive: The Authors of Blue Ocean Strategy Reveal How They Sold 4M Copies September 26, 2017
- Why the Best Thing You Can Do for Your Creative Project Is Create Another One September 12, 2017
- These 25 Businesses Will Surprise You With How Old They Are August 23, 2017
- A Fingertip Feel for the Internet: An Interview With Professional Meme Creator Ka5sh August 8, 2017
- How To Create Art (And Work) That Lasts July 12, 2018
- 3.1 Lessons Learned on the Way to 31 June 16, 2018
- What Can This Five-Century-Old Drawing Teach You? Everything That Matters. May 30, 2018
- 22 Rules for Creating Work That Stands the Test of Time May 14, 2018
- Here’s How You Stop Anger From Making You Do Something Stupid May 7, 2018
- Don’t Fake It ‘Till You Make It. Do This Instead. May 1, 2018
- How Your Daily Routine Can Turn Into Your Biggest Enemy April 24, 2018
- 13 Life-Changing Habits To Try And Do Every Single Day April 15, 2018
- Here’s The Technique That Ambitious People Use To Get What They Want March 29, 2018
- The Most Successful People Are The Ones You’ve Never Heard Of (And Why They Want It That Way) March 20, 2018